Tuesday, April 1, 2014

I Love Menthol!

I get sinus infections and sinus headaches somewhat often.  So, every night before bed I put menthol around my nostrils; just inside.  Why?  It helps keep my sinuses open-plus I just love the smell of menthol.  Also, when my sinus headaches get really painful I rub the menthol around my eyes and forehead.  I'm very careful to not get it in my eyes.  Sinuses take up so much of our heads and my pain often goes into my teeth as well.  Putting menthol on the outside of my sinuses really helps, especially at bed time.  The brand I generally use is J.R. Watkins Apothecary Menthol Camphor Medicated Cough Suppressant Rub.  Even though I use it all the time it seems to last forever.



Last week my husband came home from Whole Foods with a new menthol product.  It is the Botanique by Himalaya i.e. balm.  My husband bought it because it isn't just a menthol product it also has holly basil, which he thought I might like.  He was right, I do!  The holly basil adds another layer to a scent I already love.



Both of these products are made from all natural ingredients.  The i.e. balm doesn't even have petroleum in it, which is nice.  It has essential oils in it.  That is unless you have been blowing your nose a lot and it is sore, then the i.e. balm burns, really badly.  However, the J.R. Watkins rub doesn't, it almost feels like a protective layer when my nose is sore from being sick.  This rub doesn't state specifically if there is petroleum in it, but it's logical that it does.

I also use both of these on my finger.  Why, you might ask.  It's because I broke my finger about six and half years ago (when I was pregnant with my youngest) and had to have screws put in.  Then about two years ago I had surgery again to have the two screws removed, unfortunately, one of them broke.  That means it is still in my finger, it gets pretty painful sometimes; so I slather it with one of my menthol rubs.  Just be careful not to get it in your eyes!

Sometimes I layer both of them, I might very well be addicted to menthol.  Do you have a special use for menthol?

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to try this for myself and my sons...we all have sinus issues, living in Texas...thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, let me know how it works out for you all!

      Delete