Saturday, May 24, 2014

A Million Ways to Die in the West-Movie Review

A Million Ways to Die in the West is a comedy brought to us by the creator of Ted, Seth MacFarlane. This is Seth's first feature film that he is starring in and includes an all-star cast.  The movie doesn't come out until May 30th, but I was lucky enough to see a prescreening with my husband.  This movie was enjoyed by both of us, and there were several people in the audience that laughed quite a bit at many things during the movie.



I've never really watched any westerns, but my husband said that it hit the "western notes" spot on.  I will take his word for it.  The introduction credit/title sequence is a bit long, but apparently that is normal for a western.  The movie is set in a time when most fights are solved by a gun fight and the loser dies, Albert is put in this situation several times throughout the course of the movie.

Seth's character, Albert, is a sheep farmer; but is not very good at his job.  The premise of the movie is that he isn't confidant in anything, so he needs to build himself up.  His best friend, Edward, is played by Giovanni Ribisi.  He is dating Sarah Silverman's character, Ruth.  Ruth is a prostitute.  She has sex with men for money, but she is waiting until marriage to have sex with Edward because they are both Christians.  This premise was very funny to me, and that was the point.  Liam Neeson plays Clinch Lockwood, the most feared gunman in the territory.  He is married to Charlize Theron's character, Anna.  There is a point that I wondered why Anna didn't just kill Clinch.


There is blatant death, which is apparent by the title of the movie.  I was still surprised by some of it, for some reason.  Neil Patrick Harris and Amanda Seyfried are also key players in this comedy.  There are also cameos by Doc Brown from Back to the Future, Ewan McGregor, and Alex Borstein.  To be honest with you there was a point that we thought we saw Ryan Reynolds, but I can't find him on the cast list.

Most of what I recall from the trailers isn't actually in the movie, which in my opinion leaves some unanswered questions.  All in all my husband and I would suggest you see this movie.  It is funny, smart, and of course there is a depth that I didn't expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment